The Final Alys Fowler's Edible Garden


Sniff!  It's over... the Edible Garden.  I've just watched the final episode tonight, about preserving and growing for winter eating.  I am gonna really miss this programme.

I have a bit of a girl crush on Alys Fowler, she rocks.  Her wonderful sense of style, life and gardening has kept me glued to the screen on Wednesday nights, (sometimes on a Saturday night too, yes I've had to watch it again!).

There are so many ideas that I want to adopt from her series, foraging for one.  I have already tried nettle soup for the first time and cannot wait to pick elderflowers to make my own cordials and jellies..

At the plot I have set aside a space for growing flowers for bees and for cutting, but before this programme I hadnt thought of edible flowers, so I am lookingat growing calendula, nasturtiums, borage and other flowers to add to my salads.

A friend of mine keeps 10 quails in her back garden in several guinea pig hutches.  We have regularly looked after them whilst they have been away, and for repayment enjoyed their mini eggs (and believe me they are the size of mini eggs, the chocolate ones!) 

Dan and I have toyed with the idea of having some of our own, maybe 3 to start with, a supply of fresh tiny eggs plus the advantage of Quail poo to nourish our compost.  Watching Alys' enjoyment from her hens has swayed my decision even more... maybe, maybe we should become parents again... (Quail's not boys!).

I think I need to ask for the book for my birthday so I can look up her recipes .... family this is a big hint!  Now all I need is a dutch bike, vintage clothes, red hair and I'm there!