May, it's May!!!!

How on earth has this happened? Blink there goes April.....


Well today is the 1st of May. Mayday. In times gone by Mayday, was the time of year when the weather became warmer and flowers and trees start to bloom. It is said to be a time of love and romance. People celebrated the coming of summer with lots of different customs that are expressions of joy and hope after a long winter. Traditional English May Day celebrations include Morris Dancing, crowning a May Queen and dancing around a Maypole.


Maypole dancing - Image by Neglimpse.com

Today is also the day my beautiful sunflower seedlings are leaving the nest. Today is officially International Sunflower Day, where the Guerilla Gardening team have made this day a mass planting of sunflowers around the globe, to brighten up our neighbourhoods.


Sunflower Seedlings

I planted loads of sunflower seeds a month ago in preparation of today. And have been scouting out places to plant them. They need to go somewhere bright and sunny and where they get maximum viewing pleasure. On the way to school we pass a church garden, I think this needs a couple of friendly sunflowers!

I have planted Russian Giant variety... so they will become extra tall. I cant wait to see their big heads waving at us as we wander pass. I know it will make me giggle inside with the secret knowing it was me who planted them!

It is a big comitment, I can see me wandering the streets with bottles of water trying to discretely water them.... this could turn out to be a nightmare.  I hope the church gardener doesnt weed them away too... oh well we shall see.  I will let you know how I get on.

Happy Mayday.  April was awesome, May you have alot to live up to!