Tyntesfield ~ Slow Worm ~ Runner Beans


Tyntesfield Estate

What a gorgeous Saturday!  Wow, totally unexpected, the weather was warm and sweet....

Days like this deserve a day out.. so we packed up the bikes and headed off to our local National Trust property Tyntesfield, which just a short car ride out of Bristol.

The boys loved zooming through the trees, sweeping down the great lawns, such a sense of freedom.




Relaxing in the sun

It felt wonderful to actually lie on the grass and stare up at the amazing trees on the estate.  We saw a Goldfinch, something I haven't seen since I was a child. 

The Bluebells were still shining out over the wood garlic, which I feel is slowly strangling bluebells in other areas of our local woodlands. 


The estates walled kitchen garden has always been a great source of inspiration.  The rows of peas were incredible, such strong looking plants.  I need to get on with sowing mine, so much still to do!  Maybe I need to focus on the plot and not wander around gorgeous estates on a perfectly good allotment saturday!...

So suitably restored, relaxed and garden inspired, off up to the plot after lunch... with runner beans on our mind!  The beans I had planted a month ago in toilet roll inners have grown so tal, they have started to bend over and distort in the grow house.. so out they must go!

Boys helped Daddy to dig a trench and then fill it with manure

 I must admit that I am a little worried about any frosts, but many people at our site have put their beans out, so fingers crossed they will grow away fine (my little babies!! ;0) )  Dan did mention that maybe 14 runnerbean plants may cause us problems when they start to produce, but I will pickle, freeze, give away and eat eat eat, and deal with that glut when it comes!
Grow well my little ones.. runnerbean White Lady & Sunset


Charlie and Rufus went up to the shed to find their spades to help with the manure, we heard a squeal, SNAKE!

We dashed up to the shed (me stopping to scoop up the camera, well any opportunity to get snapping) to find the boys staring at this wonderful creature at their feet...

Slow Worm

Wonderful, I have only ever seen one of these before, it was such a treat!  Charlie was fascinated that it had lost the tip of it's tail, a bit yucky to look at!


If you can remember my earlier post when the shed was erected, I think it's about time to update you on her progress. 

The Little Green Shed is looking good at the moment, the clematis Daniel Daronder is in flower, although not growing on as strong as I had hoped.  The Gooseberry bushes behind the shed are full of fruit just starting to ripen.... and look! We have our own bluebells in our little woodland area.  I feel so blessed!

Hope you all had a great weekend... see you all next week x