how to talk to little girls...


Source: flickr.com via littlegreenshed ~ on Pinterest


Seems like a bit of a weird topic for me, as I have 2 boys of my own.  But Charlie & Rufus have many friends who are girls.  I have often found myself lost for words to say to them, how do I talk to little girls? 


I was never a girlie girl.  I have two brothers, and I used play with them and their friends, there was never any gender division in our house.  We all shared the same toys, rode bikes, climbed trees, rode horses, wore ripped jeans and made dens.  But now I see many girls who are girlie, wear little frocks to play in the park and have an unhealthy obsession with pink. (yes, I know I am generalising, as I also know some girls who have no interest in pink and fairies!).


So sometimes, when I have talk to one of the boys friends I fumble for words, have absolutely no clue what to say, what the hell do little girls like?


I know little boys like dinosaurs, lego, sharks, tractors, mud, poo and willy's!


Girls?  Huh?  I'm buggered if I am going to talk about hairstyles, pink dresses and fairies!  My standard greeting to a girl would be hello, I love your shoes or don't you look pretty today.... or some other comment complimenting on her looks.  I would NEVER talk about a boys looks to them as a lead into a conversation, so why am I doing this?  Why am I not talking to girls like they have a brain, are interested in the world around them, why am I not asking them about their loves... does she love to ride her bike?


Then I came across this article via Jo's post


wow!  It totally made me re-think.


So last time I saw Charlie's friends I saw she had been drawing, so I sat and talked to her about her art and how she used the watercolours and then we sat for a while and drew.  It was so natural, she relaxed and we connected.  


So tell me, how do you talk to little girls when you meet them?  Many of you have girls, what do you think when some compliments your daughter?  Would you prefer they spoke to her about books and art than her frock or shoes?
x