Google+ Littlegreenshed - UK Lifestyle Blog: Cornish holiday part 5 ... National Trust Glendurgan Google+ -->

Cornish holiday part 5 ... National Trust Glendurgan


 

 




 

Our final visit to a National Trust garden during our holiday was to Glendurgan gardens.  I think personally we saved the best til last.

Glendurgan House is set high up on a hill with its garden set into a deep valley. Winding leafy pathways snake down to a small hamlet and stony beach to the Helford River.

At each of the National Trust properties we have been to, there has been a well thought out children's trail  for the boys to complete. A little leaflet and pencil was handed to them at the reception. It sparked an instant interest and were eager to look for clue's along the way.  Ticking off when they saw a prickly plant or counting how many palm trees lined a certain walk.

With this trail in mind, my two happily bound on through gardens searching for the next item to tick off, leaving Dan and I to wander and enjoy the tranquillity.

At Glendurgan, halfway down the valley there is a quite fabulous maze. Twisty, organic in shape, with a palm fringed hut in the centre that made me think of South East Asia.  Charlie and Rufus ran happily through the maze and reached the centre with a cheer.

Down through the garden we came across the small stony beach and the estuary of the Helford River. The water was glassy and flat, quite unlike the wildness of the Atlantic Ocean at Sennen Cove. Dan taught the boys to skim stones, but apparently chucking massive ones in with a loud splash is far more fun!
x

11 comments:

  1. Sweet Caroline6.8.12

    Yes Lou, this is the one we visited (some years ago now)! It does have a secret magical charm about it. The little beach at the end is beautiful! A great place for children to explore.

    Luv M
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks beautiful! I'm off to Cornwall next Wednesday, so this little place is going on my to do list! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so enjoying your Cornwall posts they are all such great pictures I feel like I'm there each time - I'm so jealous when I crash back down to earth and know I wasn't I just love Cornwall and when the sun shines it's like being in a different country!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Glendurgan too. Don't you just want to stay in one of those cottages on the little beach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree, the children's trail/activity sheets, really engage them! Dx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so beautiful! Adore that first image x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That green, winding pathway to the beach took me back to a childhood memory! What a stunning amazing world we live in hey? And pretty much nothing beats a family holiday for GOOD living!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. All your Cornwall series has made me wish the next couple of weeks zip by! Can't believe we'll be down there next week!! xx

    ps. hope the cardigan has arrived...should have done by now xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that place, it's definitely one of my favourites. I made the mistake of going in the maze once, it took me ages to get out! I love the little beach there too x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. Gorgeous. Must pop that on the list for when we're there in a few weeks. How exciting! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. your trip looks amazing. i am feverishly making notes! thanks for grabbing our little list thing button. looks cute! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment... I love to hear from you. Have a great day! Lou x