Google+ Littlegreenshed - UK Lifestyle Blog: Cornwall part 2 - Barbara Hepworth & St Ives Google+ -->

Cornwall part 2 - Barbara Hepworth & St Ives










Barbara Hepworth is one of my heroines... a woman who can sculpt like that and raise 4 children is pretty incredible to me!
I love going to St Ives and visiting her home & garden.  It is always inspiring, calming and thought provoking.
Although a small space, it does pack in such large and tactile sculptures... cold to touch and marked by her hand.
The boys loved to run through the narrow pathways, calling each sculpture their own name... 'this one looks like a duck' 'this one looks like a doh nut'.
The conservatory housed bright red geraniums and amazing looking cacti, but best of all were 3 original Bertoia chairs and a foot stool.  I couldn't actually tear myself away... that conservatory was heaven!
Her studio was beautiful... the tools all laid out just as she would have left it.
I LOVE St Ives... always such a pleasure to visit.
x

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful photographs Lou. I've never ever been to Cornwall. One of those places that I long to go to. And I love Barbara Hepworth so her studio is top of my list for when I actually get to go to Cornwall! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE St. Ives we go every year (sometimes twice!) Looks like you had a great time - nice to see pictures of BH's garden in the sun (when I went last Sept it was drizzly).
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. St Ives is one of my favourite places ever- lovely pictures. Looks like the Mediterranean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, it is such a peaceful place to be, I must visit again next time we are there! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I love the Barbara Hepworth museum! I love to just go and sit in the garden and appreciate what an amazing woman she was. I love that I went to the same art school as her too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos/ inspiration we are off mid to late August for a UK mini break! These photos have made me feel a little excited about going away. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree, St Ives is wonderful and the Hepworth Museum always worth a visit. I have family who live in St Ives and they absolutely love it! Glad you had such a fab time. Ann x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds wonderful - I'd love to visit myself one day....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Saltwaters and the little ring on your toe!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like you're having a wonderful time! St. Ives is one of my favourite places, particularly Hepworth's garden. It is so lovely to see your gorgeous photos, they have set my mind to rest and thoughtfulness after a long and hard day. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I LOVE St Ives, and the Hepworth is one of my favourite ever places. Haven't been for a while, your pics are making me want to go back soon. How is it in the school hols? Last time we went we weren't slaves to those dates and it was lovely and quiet.

    Did you do the Porthminster Beach Cafe? Have you seen this place you can rent (if you win the lottery): http://www.cornishgems.com/holiday-cottages/Compass_House.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, love that chair and your shoes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was there yesterday!! It was gorgeous as ever, and we had lunch in the Porthminster Beach Cafe (an annual tradition, and ALWAYS delicious)! And Barbara Hepworth's garden is one of my 'happy places' - so inpiring and relaxing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd get lost in romance there, I really would.

    And snap! I live in St Ives in Sydney. Not quite the same thing, but still!! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. We'll be there in a fortnight! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment... I love to hear from you. Have a great day! Lou x