Nature in the Home - May Day!...


Nature in the Home is back!
On 1st of May, May Day, join me in celebrating the Pagan tradition of 'May Baskets', small posies of flowers left on friends / neighbours doorsteps.

Last year I filled jam jars with small Spring blooms cut from my garden and hung them from door knobs.  Such a wonderful surprise for my friends, and it felt lovely to do too.

The history of May Day celebrations appeared in pre-christian times, with the festival of Flora. Traditional British May Day rites and celebrations include Morris dancing, crowning a May Queen and maypole dancing - which I loved doing when I was at junior school. Although it used to always get tangled up in a mess and the teacher getting rather hot and bothered!  The Pagan tradition of leaving 'May baskets' has faded in popularity since the late 20th Century.

So, let's collectively resurrect this old tradition!  Will you join me?  You don't have to do everyone you know.  Just a good friend or elderly neighbour.  A small jam jar filled with buttercups or grape hyacinths will brighten someones day.

Next Thursday 1st May - we shall kick of the new season of Nature in the Home in style, with a group link up here.  A photograph of the door and jar.  Exciting.

On twitter and Instagram please use the Hashtag #NITHMayDay

Can't wait to see how you get on.  Are you in?

Labels: