Bonjour Garlic!


This weekend saw us dig up our Garlic, a little later than planned, but we wanted to wait for a warm, dry day!

Wow, such plump, hard bulbs, that looked nothing on the surface, but once lifted they are quite large!  Very very excited about this and how they have turned out as this is my first time growing garlic.

You may remember that Garlic was one of the first things we planted at the allotment, when we took it over last winter.  We planted Garlic Solent Wight (softneck variety) and Garlic Sultop (hardneck variety).



The softneck is to use now, and has a more delicate sweeter flavour, but unfortunately it doesn't store that well.  The hardneck Sultop, with its robust stem and tough skin will keep throughout winter if kept in a cool dark environment - like the cupboard under my stairs (which I wish was a downstairs loo - but hey not the right post for my home moans).

So these beauties need to dry and then I shall plait them and wear them around my neck like a french garlic seller... now where is my beret and my Parisienne tee?



Err, maybe not!

Labels: , ,